..::|:.: Scattered Words

"in brokeness, I could see, that this was your will for me..." :: Jeremy Camp

6.01.2004

Things I've never said.

Or if I did, I didn't mean to. Setting the record straight:

*I've never said that all gay men were abused as children. I was, and I'd be a fool to ignore the role that has played in my spiritual/emotional/sexual development.
*I've never said that I hated myself. I don't. I really really don't. I hate some of the things I've done. I hate some of the things that've been done to me.
*I've never said that anyone is telling me whom I should be. These are issues of my heart, of my health -- of my faith. Despite popular opinion, I really can think quite critically.
*I've never said that all gay men are *extremely* promiscuous. I say extremely, because honestly, I view anyone with more than one sexual partner as promiscuous. I've said that I was promiscous. And I was. I've said that most gay men I've encountered, be it in bars, clubs, sex clubs or the metro or where ever, have been pretty much the same.
*I've never said that I was mistreated by other children because of my sexuality. Do all gay kids have to suffer or they're really not gay? I was actually okay most of the way through school. I wasn't extremely popular, but I wasn't disliked, picked on or abused more than any other kid. I took my fair share and even dished it out on occassion (kids can be total you know whats sometimes). You guys are right then, I must not be gay. Phew. That's a relief.
*I've never said that if you're gay you have to change. I might believe that. But I've never told you that. If you tell me you're happy, then so be it. God gives you the choice to do what you will with your life -- why should I assume to take that choice from you. I might think you're wrong, but since so many of you tell me how wrong (stupid, idiotic, sad, pathetic, moronic, etc.) I am, I really don't feel bad thinking similar of you.
*I've never said that I have all the answers. I really don't. When it comes to Christianity, the Bible and apologetics -- yeah, I'm quick on the draw. That comes from years of study and I can argue with the best of 'em. Trust me. I am supposed to have a ready defense, to be able to give answers to those who ask about the hope that I have. Don't fault me for it.

That's all I can think of for now. There's more, I'm sure. If I think of anything else, I'll add it or create a new post later.