..::|:.: Scattered Words

"in brokeness, I could see, that this was your will for me..." :: Jeremy Camp

5.20.2004

Traitor.

That's me. For a while today, as I read, I got really discouraged. Brock seems to think I'm destroying the world and should probably be court martialed (sp?) for ripping the "I'm a queer" bumper sticker of my car. Apparently I "infuriate" this guy. There are many others.

The point: I won't be spending so much time here defending myself. It's useless. As I've said before -- you're really not concerned about what I think or what I tell others or even really about me -- but that evidence of change in my life threatens your sensibilities.

The thing is, my faith is a part of me. I can no more seperate it from myself than I could cut off my own arm. This will not change. But I'm not telling you or anyone else what to do with your life. I'm not telling you to be straight, to be gay, to be a christian or an atheist. Return the favor.

I'll be very clear about how I feel about things. And my feelings are as valid as yours. When I see things that make me feel sorrow for a group of people that I know have some of the same pains in their lives as I do -- I'm gonna say something. Get over it.

Despite what most gay people would like us to believe, there is more to us than our sexual orientation. It doesn't define us. It does not define me. There's more to life than sex (unless you're addicted to it -- then it's pretty overwhelming).

All that said, I'm not naive about this blog -- or the rage it can/may incite in some who very much are threatened by what it says. I respect everyone's opinions and want to hear them. But don't be surprised if I don't defend myself. I don't have to. Live the tolerance you preach at me.