..::|:.: Scattered Words

"in brokeness, I could see, that this was your will for me..." :: Jeremy Camp

5.10.2004

Playing my role.

I'm so frustrated. I like Mark's blog, I really do. I read it a good bit. But this post is just illustrative of the innappropriate ways well-meaning Christians respond to homosexuals (struggling to depart or living it out).

Lets be clear about some stuff. I didn't choose this for myself. I never chose to be abused, I never chose to have a emotionally-constrained father. I didn't choose to become attracted to guys or have those attractions hard-wired into my brain. And like most of you can't simply "choose" to become gay, I can't so easily "choose" to be straight.

I can choose to stop sleeping with guys. Unfortunately, that's really only the tip of the ice-berg, so to speak.

So, the next time you wanna tell someone to get over it or stop playing the victim or we all have our problems, just remember: compassion, mercy, grace, etc. Try hard not to be condescending, self-righteous and dismissive. Even for a person who wants to, they can't change over night. And if you were homosexual, you'd be trying to rationalize your life, too.

COMPASSION, GRACE, MERCY. Get some.