..::|:.: Scattered Words

"in brokeness, I could see, that this was your will for me..." :: Jeremy Camp

5.31.2004

More I don't agree with.

Normally, I'd let this go -- but it's getting so much attention.

"Whether it is genetic or whether something occurs during a critical time of fetal development, I don't know. I can only tell you with an absolute certainty that it is inborn."

I wish I could be that certain about things in my life. Inborn? Absolute certainty? What have all the scientists around the world been missing? She's got this nailed, so they should listen to her. Inborn indeed. I repeat what I said a few weeks ago -- that doesn't mean it's valid.

You use religion to abdicate your responsibility to be thinking human beings. There are vast numbers of religious people who find your attitudes repugnant. God is not for the privileged majority, and God knows my son has committed no sin.

It's my faith (a word I choose over 'religion') that's made me a thinking human being (though later she calls her opponent a "deep-thinker"). There very well maybe vast numbers of "religious" people who find what the Bible says repugnant. A lot of people thought most of things Jesus said were repugnant. And in being homosexual, I don't believe this woman's son sinned -- she's probably right when she says he didn't choose what kind of life he was handed. But he does have a choice on how he acts based on the life he's got. There in lies the sin.

"You have the audacity to talk about protecting families and children from the homosexual menace, while you yourselves tear apart families and drive children to despair."

Not so sure that children are being driven to despair because they're told thay can't be gay. Being told I can't be gay isn't what makes me despair -- it's being told that I should be. It's being told that I should deny my faith and everything inside of me to embrace a lifestyle that's brought me nothing but anxiety, fear and pain. It's being told that I'm stupid for believing in a God that wants the best in the world for me.

True, what this kid's had to endure is unexcusable, vile even. I make no excuse for it -- but I've got news for everyone out -- it's not just Christians who treat gays with contempt (and I contend that most really don't). We're just the scapegoats. So be it.

She has every right to defend her son and to expect him to be treated like a human being -- I'd do the same for my children. But pointing fingers doesn't make her a hero -- it makes her scared, reactive. I can't fault her for that, but maybe we should all stop looking for people to blame.