..::|:.: Scattered Words

"in brokeness, I could see, that this was your will for me..." :: Jeremy Camp

5.29.2004

Masculinity.

There's been some backlash about one of my statements below, in regard to masculinity. Some cite examples of Sparta (whose armies had built-in homosexual behavior as part of their training regime) and gay men they know who are "more masculine" than any straight guys.

Lets forget for the moment that some gays -- so insecure and so lacking in real masculinity -- develop a hyper-maleness in order to compensate. It's an emotional and physical facade. So, then, the question becomes, what is real masculinity? What is manhood? I don't know completely. I really don't.

I know it's not what I have. I know that just because other societies condone the behavior (normally for a specific purpose and a specific period of time) that doesn't make it representative of masculine behavior. The problem is, in most ways American culture has demonized manhood. It's not a good thing to be a guy, or even a little boy (girls are made of all things nice, remember?). We've abdicated its role and hidden its purpose. We fuel the development of a group of people who are confused, lacking, wanting and hurting. Why are straight people never referred to as "confused" -- though it's common to refer to a gay person or someone coming "out" as confused. Why do gay people have to go through a period of discovery?

Those are all rhetorical, mind you, but I'm sure some of you have the answers. I think about myself, and I don't fall hard either way -- masculine or feminine. And I know we all should possess some of the qualities of both.

Well, I'm confused obviously. Maybe I just don't have any great examples in my life. I take that back, I do have one -- and he's a good example. Now, I just have to figure out what to do with the example I have; how what I see from him can help me along on this journey.